View Single Post
Old September 24th, 2020, 06:32 AM   #59
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onekallo View Post
Thank you!

Decided to take the 06 today just to re check everything (and avoid having to fix it on Saturday when my wife is ready to go )

It definitely needed some enrichener (choke lever) this morning and some throttle to fire up, but it was quite chilly here (10*C)

Full enrichener it was running around 4000rpm, made it a few stops signs and lowered the lever to 1/2. Still running around 3-4k but at least nice and smooth and steady.

My plan was to ride a little further this morning but I was dressed a little light given that it is going to warm up this afternoon.

I'll take the long way home again to get it nice and warm, and just to verify everything from yesterday. I am likely over thinking it now, but as you may have all figured out by now that is nothing new for me.
That's more typical of what it should do when cold. They don't run well cold if they are tuned properly.

As far as the "choke" goes, I would start it on full, but immediately back it down to where it idles about 2500. Let it sit there for a minute or 2 while you get your gear on, then turn the choke off completely before heading out. It should idle, but not well or at the hot RPM. After normal running for a short period the idle should slowly come up to the proper hot speed as the engine reaches operating temp.

I never ride off with the choke on. Give it a little throttle when you are stopped if it feels like it needs it, but it should warm up enough after a short amount of time riding normally to stay running without any help.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote