View Single Post
Old June 11th, 2020, 09:15 AM   #124
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick9611 View Post
i had drop outs on voltage but not much. if coil was 12.80 volts it might drop to 12.60 volts. had small dropouts at ignitor location and key switch. while wiggling the 10amp ignition fuse blew. do i need to bite the bullet and get a $300 wire harness?or do i need to totally unwrap this harness and really check it closely?
where is the main frame ground for the harness?
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick9611 View Post
guys the fuse blew from me testing with the meter. had to. if this was the problem, the fuse would constantly be blowing. it never blew once till i started testing. i raced a bracket car for 5 seasons with butt splices/ no failures
klr full of butt splices no issues. i might look into a used harness.
Just because you got lucky with 50 butt-crimps, doesn't mean the 51st one is working. Meters use high-impedance probe circuit, meaning they draw minimal current. Otherwise every single time meter is used, it would blow fuses. That's obviously not the case. Just because 50 kids survived drinking poison from bottles under sink, doesn't mean that stuff is safe. What about 51st one that died? Was he unlucky? None of them should've drank poison in 1st place, parents shouldn't have kept it under sink.

It was when you wiggled harness that fuse blew. You were measuring voltage at coils, somewhere completely far away from area of harness that was wiggled. That movement was more than harness has encountered before. So that short was just lowering voltage and hampering ignition at high-RPM which requires more coil-charging. With larger amount of wiggling, short finally connected to neighboring wires.

Best bet is to go back to that spot on harness that was wiggled, and go in either direction to remove and fix crimps closest to that spot on either side. And continue outwards form there.

Remember, it took you over year to take my suggestion to swap bone-stock carbs from green bike to red bike to troubleshoot mid-range stumbling. In that case, it was modding the carbs that caused issue. A 30-minute procedure would've saved a year of frustration. Same in this case. The sooner harness is restored back to 100% bone-stock, the sooner bike will run perfectly again. Simple.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote