View Single Post
Old June 6th, 2023, 10:15 AM   #98
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

I did that Danno when I got the carbs back from Gordon.... straight stock ....it had a flat spot from 4,000 RPM to 6,000 RPM that I could hardly ever get over.... it was a major flat spot you would raise the RPM with the throttle and when it hit 4,000 it gasped for air and died.... that was STOCK, so Gordon rechecked the carbs and sent them back and I had him change the main jets to 95's and install 2 shims under the needles.....
...so going back to stock is not going to FIX it..... I already did that !
let me clarify here.... I haven't put in those Bigger pilot jets yet... they haven't came yet.... I had Gordon put in 2 shims under the needle and install 95 main jets
.... because the bike always ran very dark plugs not black but just real dark
so I will pull the carbs again and pull out one shim and see if I can find any dirt in the carbs ( which I doubt Gordon did an excellent job of cleaning those things!) and I am running a inline filter so there should be no dirt or stuff in the carbs... but the pilot circuit is giving me some trouble with not wanting to adjust, that is why I ordered the extra pilot jets which haven't got here.
( came to about $50.00 too! for 4 pilot jets !)
Stock, not wanting to adjust via the air screws denotes a clogged passage way
correct ? we know that's not the case because Gordon cleaned them and I didn't so I didn't screw it up ! LOL so.... sense the stock pilot jets are still in it
I can take out one shim and see if the flat spot I had (and was trying to get rid of) gets worse or better.... I expect it will get worse.
However adjusting the air screws needs to be done after it is warm.... that means after I take it for a ride.... and the engine is at operating temp.
I actually should do that first to see if the engine will raise and lower in RPM with the air screws like it should.... I could Not get it to adjust properly last week. (even after a lengthy warm up)
but I have fresh gas in it and it should work great but there is a hint of a flat spot around 4,000 ~ 6,000 RPM after 6,000 RPM it runs fantastically.
it could just be the air screw adjustments because I know they aren't right!
....but that shouldn't effect it at that high an RPM 2,000 to a max of 3,000 RPM should be tops of where the air screw adjustment effects the run.
my observation is that the flat spot at 4k~5.5k is lean if I hold the RPM's there it will drop a cylinder in short order.
Bob.......