Old May 21st, 2014, 07:53 AM   #35
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnr4 View Post
I'm sure it varies by person. As I said, IMHO. The OP should think about recommendations on both sides. My only point was that on a track you're much more likely to want and try to go fast. Is the street dangerous? Absolutely. But going out by yourself or with a trusted, advanced friend is a good way to learn on 30mph curves. It seems hard to watch everyone ride so aggressively and not want, NEED, to do it. The number of beginners that have crashed at the handful of days I've attended is pretty darn high; yes, it's better that they crash at the track, but better yet would be to not cross over their limits.

I have to say, it took me a lot of years to learn where my limits are and how to stay on the good side of them. Getting older probably helps too.

most novice groups at reputable track orgs have many control riders. in fact for most orgs the first session is a set of parade laps followed by easing into a very slow pace. basically everyone is just learning lines by following the control riders at first as they are slowly brought up. after the first session you can go ask a control rider for more tows and they will give you lots of advice. good advice because they know what they are doing, not ****** advice like your cousin tommy who tells you turning is all about the hip motion and swears he can wheelie for miles even though every time you ask him to show you he says he doesn't want to because he needs a new rear tire from "doing too many burnouts."

many new riders (myself included) have crashed due to very basic mistakes on a road that has no room for mistakes. if those same mistakes were made on a nice big track with lots of room and then lots of runoff on top of that? they would have just been mistakes instead of crashes. i know for sure that i get more aggressive on the bikes when i am out in the nowhere by myself vs with someone else. most people will push themselves on a bike whether they are out on the road or out on track. it is why they bought a bike in the first place. it makes more sense to me to put them in a good environment that fosters correct learning and low risk testing.