Thread: Leaving again!
View Single Post
Old January 22nd, 2015, 09:44 AM   #80
Jono
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Update! Just bought a clean looking used engine off eBay. The seller has a great reputation and has a 30 day return policy. Got it for a great price too. $180 for the complete engine with throttle bodies as well. The posting said it ran and shifted just fine before they stripped the bike down. It's a gamble but for the price I couldn't say no. Oh, and the engine is from an 06 SV and has like 18,500 miles on it. Not as low as I wanted but again, the price. Plus I bought this bike with over 26,000 miles on it. Even if I can get 10,000 miles out of this used engine I'd be satisfied.

Bad news, the front header bolts are broken off on the engine. That may pose a challenge. I am hoping that there is enough stud left to weld on nuts in hopes of backing those studs out. We shall see. If that fails to work, I'll drill out the studs to install helicoils. And if that doesn't work, I'll use my front cylinder head off the old engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
I can put you in touch with a guy that deals in SV parts and knows his way around the engine very well.

PM me your email address, and the trans parts you are looking for, and I'll get it to him. He doesn't currently have a complete engine for sale, but he has engines.
Thanks, if I end up rebuilding my old engine I'll go on the SV forum and ask about used transmission shafts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finesse View Post
do you have a knife sharpening stone? they're not super cheap but they're a pretty foolproof way to get a good seal on new gaskets. I generally scrape all the old gasket off with a razor, clean it with brake parts cleaner, dry it off, then sort of rub the stone around on the mating surface. theoretically the stone will get it as flat as possible.. also sometimes use a little bit of axle grease to get the gaskets to stay in place while I put engine cases back on. not sure what kind of gaskets you'll be using but this works well with metallic and paper ones. I've never had any that I've done come back because of leaks, but they've mostly been valve cover gaskets or engine case (clutch or alternator cover) gaskets.
I'm not worried about clutch and magneto cover gaskets. Those are no problem. It's the actual case I'm worried about. You have to use Yamabond or the like, and make a seal. There isn't a paper gasket on the crankcase.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote