View Single Post
Old July 3rd, 2022, 08:09 AM   #10
Mauricemonge
ninjette.org member

Name: Maurice

Motorcycle(s): bastardized ninja 250 (think land speed record with a sidecar) soon to swap a 500 engine

Update, I rode this 3000 miles to Colorado and back to California before melting a piston.

I bought an o2 gauge while in Colorado to help me with jetting. I ran a 115 main with no shims and a #40 idle screwed out 2.5 turns. I learned that the idle adjustments affect the entire rpm range significantly. It was cool to see it on the gauge. It was a decent jet for 5000 feet, but would have gone leaner up high (pikes peak was 14k).

Coming down the mountain I jetted bigger, but a thunderstorm killed my gauge, and the engine had been running weird for awhile. When I got down to Bakersfield, the engine was running amazing: 118 main, 2 shims, 40 pilot, 2.75 screws out. But I knew I was probably at the limit of lean. I hopped back on the freeway with 99 degree ambient temps, and a piston let go. That piston was having problems for about 1500 miles, but it finally went.

In conclusion, yes you can advance your timing. Yes I did feel that it picked up more mid range, but can’t say it made more power up top. But I did kill it, and I’m not sure this would be best for a daily driver, but I likely ran lean.

My engine was a $100 “mystery motor”, that when I bought it, the valves were so tight, it would only run for 5 minutes before losing compression, then stall at idle and not be able to be started again until cooled. I had no issues experimenting on this since it gave me over 3 hard years with a sidecar.

I’ll be swapping in a 500cc engine in soon
Mauricemonge is offline   Reply With Quote