View Single Post
Old April 21st, 2014, 06:04 PM   #18
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Personally, I am comfortable riding at any pace but my favorite is an 8/10ths pace with 10/10ths being my personal limit, or at least where I think the limits are. When I ride alone I blatantly ignore speed limits and regularly double them because I follow what I believe the limits are for me and my bike rather than the arbitrary speed limits set for cars, set too low at that. Now I have had my own mishaps, one of them recently, and the last thing I want to do is to sadden my family/friends with a bad wreck though it is a possibility. I love the feeling of moving quickly, not necessarily fast (which is relative anyway) but quickly enough to really lean the bike over and feel them cornering forces at work. I do not believe that the pace that I ride on the street puts me in inherent danger since I leave a safety cushion for surprises. I do however believe that the pace that I ride would likely make any incident worse, that being incidents which would take effect even at a much lower speed. Examples of that being, animals jumping out and cars cutting me off/hitting me.

Overall, I think that the reason people ride fast in general is because it's euphoric when everything falls into place and you're "flying" low to the ground. Creating the feeling that the bike is an extension of yourself rather than a tool used to get you from A to B. I also believe that even with that said the only truly safe place for this kind of pace is the track. My 8/10ths pace is only a teaser of how a fast 10/10ths or 11/10ths pace feels though it's enough to satisfy my thirst for the feeling.

Sorry to hear about your friend, was he part of the ducati bros. group you were telling me about?
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote