View Single Post
Old February 25th, 2012, 11:50 PM   #7
UltrA_09
ninjette.org member

Name: Ultra!

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R '09, SV650s '07

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012NewRider View Post
It is an HID kit without the projector, If you look at the high-end cars with HID systems, not all of them use projectors.
I'm not entirely sure whether someone told you this, or whether you just read it online, but that simply isn't true. Any high-end car - or rather any car on the road that is fitted with HID bulbs as stock will have HID projectors installed as well; with the one exception that I know of being the Toyota Prius which incorporates a uniquely designed projector housing that properly deals with the light output created by an HID bulb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012NewRider View Post
If you look closely at the housing of the Ninja, it does NOT aim the light beam as high as the High (Right Side) Beam side.
Just to clear things up, the ninja 250's light aim difference between low and high beam is fixed; when aiming the headlight housing up and down, the entire housing is adjusted which consequently affects both the low and high beam.

As for the HID bulb not emitting the light as high as the high beam, that doesn't mean - in any way - that the low beam light is properly aimed. By placing an HID bulb in a reflective housing, a tremendous amount of glare is created, as clearly shown by the picture posted. The difference between that and using an HID bulb in conjunction with an HID projector housing is very clear. When using a projector housing, there is a shield that creates a cut-off which limits the light from being projected past a certain degree/height; hence the name "cut-off shield". Any reflector housing, for obvious reasons, won’t have a cut-off shield.

Here's a clear picture of what a proper HID cut-off looks like:

Halogen bulbs in reflector housings don't have such a clear and concise cut off, though the light is still aimed none-the-less due to the design of the reflector in conjunction with the light output of the bulb. Reflectors won't properly aim the light emitted from HID bulbs simply because they aren't designed to handle such a light source.

Just to further prove this to be dangerous for other road users (and that includes other motorcyclists), here is a government test result of an HID PnP kit fitted in a (car) reflective housing.

...I just think it's in your best interest to have properly functional headlights; and that includes having them properly aimed. I highly recommend purchasing the Philips X-Treme Power H7 from www.powerbulbs.com for superior light output and low cost (2 per package, use one as low beam and one as spare); otherwise spend the money (usually ~$200-300, as well as time & effort) on an actual HID projectors/ballasts/bulbs set-up.
UltrA_09 is offline   Reply With Quote