View Single Post
Old August 15th, 2017, 01:19 PM   #158
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
#2, for me, it's a feedback cycle of sorts with my own experience combined with others. I try not to re-invent wheel and go through learning-process if someone else has already done it. Following instructors around is great way to learn quickly.

I used to download track-maps and hand-draw fastest-lines in pencil, then re-draw it with fine-tuning after each session. Then I discovered that other people have already done this exercise, so I just download their maps: http://www.scarrottracing.com/trackmaps . Then fine-tune that slightly for my particular bike and riding style.

Watching videos of actual races and trackdays really helps (even between sessions help if you didn't do beforehand). First for helping me determine braking-points, turn-ins, apexes, etc. Once those are fairly well-learned and optimized, videos of races help me find alternate paths around each corner for passing.

#3, you'll want to re-visit the friction-circle. A tyre can experience loads from multiple directions and the resultant net-vector is final force on ground. It can take acceleration, cornering or braking and any combination of two (obviously one combination of those two cancels each over out and you have net of just one). At your current level, and for most people, they will not be able to brake or corner anywhere nearly as hard as what force engine can apply to tyre. So both you and your friend, will have same maximum-loading on tyre when you both go WOT. Any faster braking or cornering wear they do than you, will be eclipsed by wear of WOT acceleration.

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; August 15th, 2017 at 02:52 PM.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote