Old June 19th, 2018, 06:12 AM   #34
VaFish
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenaero View Post
Interesting discussion. While I'm generally in favor of less laws to control our decisions at least helmet laws ( like seatbelt laws ) are easy to comply with and have almost no negatives associated with their implementation.

The article's premise is correct in that there will be an increase of traumatic head injury fatalities that will increase the opportunity for harvesting healthy organs for use by others. However most people do not choose to be organ donors. I would submit that the same people who are thoughtless and selfish enough to ride helmetless generally do not choose to be voluntary organ donors. It would be interesting to have a law that allows riders to opt out of helmet use if they agree to sign up as voluntary organ donors.
That's an interesting proposal. It would offset the increased medical costs with increased organ donation.

I wonder if the law could be written (and enforced) that you sign a statement when you get your motorcycle license if you ride without a helmet and are declared brain dead after an accident on a motorcycle you automatically become an organ donor.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote