View Single Post
Old September 24th, 2018, 05:52 AM   #186
Ducati999
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

Labor Day Update

I just wanted to start this post by saying "Thank You" once again to everyone who has read thru this long thread and taken the time to give me advice on how they dealt with the issues I have faced. Special thanks to @adouglas, @Misty and @csmith12 for all the "direct coaching" I have received from them and special thanks to my wife for understanding all the time and money I have invested in this adventure.

I returned to the track on September 1&2 for Labor Day weekend. I was a little disappointed that we were running the Palmer track clockwise. I have the most experience running counter clockwise but after this weekend, I think the track flows better clockwise. My last track day was on Memorial day Weekend which was also clockwise but cold and wet. Not so this time, it was as good a day at the track as possible the first day with low 80's and a slight breeze. Monday the 2nd was hotter and no wind to help cool things down but I am not complaining! With only 4 track days in the last 2 years and no street riding, it took several sessions for me to relax and start really riding the bike without triggering multiple SR's. Mr. Fist suggested I reposition my rearsets which was the key to my success on this trip. I don't think I would have been able to get comfortable and start feeling things again if it was not for this change. I had real issues with my legs getting tired and I could not get off the bike properly until he suggested I move the pegs back and down 1 space each direction. With my feet more "under" me and my legs a little less bent, I was better able to support myself and able to hang off better without getting as tired.

Since I have had so little time on the bike over the last few years, my muscles used in riding are weak. Once the pegs were relocated, I was able to begin focus more on what I was doing wrong and on just hitting my marks. I did not manage to get my knee down this trip but I was running a good "mid yellow group" pace as I was not getting passed much and I was passing a few bike at times. Although I was not dragging my knee I felt I was going close to the same speeds I had done prior in the counter clockwise direction (where I was always dragging knee). I think that moving the pegs allowed me to be in a more correct body position which allowed me to use less lean angle with the same relative speed. I know my lap times were within a second or 2 of what I did in the other direction (onboard lap timer) and things felt great inspiring lots of confidence to go faster. There was one stark reminder of how much I can still improve: A young lady on a KTM RC390 blew past me entering turn 7 and disappeared so fast I could not believe, I began to hit that turn much harder after that!

I do not have any data nor video to show how things went but I feel I did well and continued to improve the second day-although I was so sore and tired from the first day that I skipped several sessions. This year was to be my "Best Year ever" on the track but life got in the way and I only got the 4 days on the track. I am rescheduling the "Best year ever" to 2019 and I hope to ride with many of you during the season.

Besides (I cant call it improvement but maybe a return to a skill level?) returning, my father and one of his friends came out to see the track. They wanted to watch me ride but they were also considering doing a track day next year. I really hope to get a chance to ride on the track with my dad, That would be a great memory for the rest of my life. I hope to have lots of updates to this thread next year along with the announcement that my 2nd bike is rebuilt and running again. Heres to 2019!
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote