Old September 5th, 2017, 06:47 AM   #10
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtom View Post
I guess, but I did learn a thing or two the second time I read my 97 civic's owners manual from front to back, years after owning it and reading it the first time.
So you're like that too. When I was 9 my father bought a new 1967 Wards Sea King runabout, with a 55 hp Chrysler outboard motor. I was very excited about the boat, and read the owner's manual over and over, memorizing things like starting procedure and the troubleshooting guide, as well as all the specifications.

My parents and I, and another couple, went to a local boat ramp at Seneca Creek on the Potomac River, to try it out for the first time. We got it launched and all got in, and after getting another boater to show us how to install the drain plug to stop the water that was rushing in, Dad tried to start the engine. It would sputter a little, but would not run. I suggested swapping the two spark plug wires, in case they had been reversed, but Dad said that the 1935 Harley he had during WWII fired both plugs at the same time (wasted spark), so that wasn't the problem. He tried everything he could think of, checking fuel flow, power to the ignition system, etc.. After running the battery down, he reverted to using a rope on the flywheel to keep trying. Finally, after probably an hour and a half, I rephrased my suggestion so that instead of suggesting that he swap the plug wires, I said "The manual says that if it behaves like this, to reverse the plug wires." His head snapped around and he looked at me, and asked "The manual? Why didn't you say you read it in the manual?" At nine years old, I didn't realize I had to explain why I was suggesting something like that.

He reversed the plug wires, and it immediately started at the next attempt. Luckily we still had 45 minutes or so before sunset. I still have the boat.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote