View Single Post
Old March 21st, 2012, 06:37 AM   #1
azwillnj
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Cleaned Carbs, Replaced Gas, Still having engine problems.

WARNING: long post, skip to the end for the cliff notes.....

I just bought a 2007 ninja 250 with about 14k miles on it... for $250!!. The previous owner was going around a turn at about 20mph and halfway through the turn the road surface went from asphalt to gravel and he slid it out destroying the fairings on the front. While the fairings are destroyed, the frame and mechanical components are in perfect shape. I am going to make it into a streetfigher, I bought a round headlight and some handlebar mirrors.. I'll post pictures when I'm done..

On to the engine problems...

The previous owner said he had cleaned the carbs and adjusted the valves just prior to selling the bike but for some reason it still wouldn't run. When I first got the bike back I drained the tank, put some new premium fuel in it and installed the tank, plugged everything in and actually got it to start and idle. As soon as I TOUCHED the throttle the engine would die, and choke seemed to so nothing and even after letting it rough idle for about 10 mins I still couldn't get it to go over idle. Exact same symptoms at this thread (see video): http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=21775

I did some looking on this forum and ninja250 and decided to do a very through cleaning of the carb. I took it off, cleaned the jets, drilled out the mixing screw plugs, cleaned them, backed them 2.5 turns off the seat. Flipped it over, checked the diaphragms, made sure there were no rips or damage, re-seated the seals carefully and closed them, installed it back in the bike and attached everything back up.

The bike started and ran like a champ, throttle was responsive it idled fine. I revved it up to about 10k a few times, dropped it back to idle and let it sit there for a little.. about 90 seconds later it just died. Thought it might have been something with the choke, dropped the choke completely off and started it back up, it idled fine but as soon as I TOUCHED the throttle it would die no matter where the choke was set. I tried starting it a few times after that and it's doing the exact same thing as before I cleaned out the carbs.

I looked inside the gas tank and it is perfect, looks like nothing has ever been in there. The only thing I can think of at this point is that the petcock on the tank is dirty or not working properly, maybe there's some debris in it that is coming back into the carbs? Thus, my next attempt at fixing this thing is going to be removing and cleaning the petcock, I will also be replacing the spark plugs (they are on order from AutoZone and should be here tomorrow). Additionally, I'm also going to install an inline fuel filter to make sure that there is nothing getting in the carbs and re-clean the carbs (again!). In the mean time, is there anything else I can try or any suggestions anyone has?

------------
TLDR:

Things I have done:
-Drained the tank
-Inspected the tank (no rust or wear of any kind)
-Cleaned the Carbs (mixing screw set, float height checked, pilot and main jet cleaned)
-Checked the coils to make sure they were plugged in
-Charged the battery

Result:
-Bike ran for about 5 mins, throttle was responsive, idle was fine, then it just died.
-Currently bike will idle, but that's it, as soon as you touch the throttle it dies.

Next Steps:
-Inspect petcock on fuel tank
-Install inline fuel filter
-Re-clean carbs
-New spark plugs
-Sync carbs

Thanks for the help,
Alex.
azwillnj is offline   Reply With Quote