View Single Post
Old December 1st, 2022, 11:22 AM   #12
MikeCL
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): ‘04 EX250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
It happens all the time, and the reasons vary from the owner crashing and getting scared, to a minor problem like a broken wire that prevented spark, to a major mechanical problem inside the engine.

Since you mentioned some crash damage, it might be that the owner crashed, parked the bike, and it sat there for 15 years. In that case you can expect to repair the crash damage, and then deal with the entire fuel system that's now full of corrosion and/or the remnants of fuel that have turned into a gooey varnish-like mess. The carburetors on these 250s are unusually difficult to get clean, so you should probably plan on a hundred or two bucks to pay Ducatiman to restore them to new condition. The petcock can be replaced or disassembled for cleaning. Lacquer thinner or acetone can dissolve the varnish from the tank, but you indicated that it might need to be repaired too.

Of course if the crash explanation is true, then you have to wonder why there is no title. Could it be possible that the nearly new bike was stolen and crashed, and then hidden?

You have to decide if you have the time and skill to bring this bike back to running condition, or if it might be better to find a used running 250 with a title for a couple thousand. I got a rough but running 2005 for $1,150 a few years back.
That could be the case the fuel tank has a pretty dee gash on the right side god only knows how long it’s been sitting I think they even dropped the price to $400 The price range of the bike is close to the new gen the 2008 I’d still keep my eyes open.
MikeCL is offline   Reply With Quote