Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Saturday, June 14 2014: Southbound

Mileage 604 miles
Time: 1 day, 1 hour
Moving: 10:19
Stopped: 14:38

Moving Average: 58 mph

Friday, I clocked out of work and made a bee line for the house. Everything was packed, I just had to drop my work uniform and gear up. Leaving Fallon at 5 isn't my favorite, but at least the sun was high enough that I wasn't blinded. Coming in along Highway 50, there is a stretch where you can see across the valley. Oddly, I could see a bunch of emergency lights on the opposite hill. As I rode closer, it appeared as if the lights weren't moving, so I figured an accident.

However, once I got to the scene, it was anything but an accident! The reason the lights appeared to not be moving is there was so many of them. Over 20 LEOs in full pursuit of a single white Jeep. It was the most excitement I had seen ever on this highway! News report here.

The next morning I made sure everything was packed up tightly. I was geared up fully and a light breakfast was fueling me up. The first thing to do was get my bike down to San Diego for the start. Luckily, Hwy 395 runs most of the way to southern California and the interstates pick up from there. So, pointing my bike south at 9am, I was officially on the road.

Except, I can't make anything THAT easy. A mere 30 minutes later, I was pulling over to see a very familiar red bike and rider hanging out waiting for me. @misfitsailor had made the trip over the hill to give me company at the onset of my ride. You can read his ride report here: NevadaWolf send off ride

Once Tim turned to head back home, I was officially on my own. 395 is an easy ride south, with little drama or traffic as it goes through rural California and numerous old towns. The fun part was I did manage to see one of the rare Uniroyal Gal's still standing along side the road. I was told they are as rare as pink unicorns, and you know how rare those are!

Made it to southern California Saturday evening and headed straight for Hotel Circle where there are so many hotels it is ridiculous. My one unplanned part of this trip was lodging, as I wasn't sure where or when I would find myself getting tired. So, no reservations made anywhere. Pulling into Motel 6, I was met with a smile and a "Sorry, no vacancy." Ok, next door to Days Inn.... er, Best Western.... er, Travel Lodge.... er... well, now this can be a problem. I called around some and finally found a hotel with A SINGLE ROOM! gimmegimmegimme! Turns out I had arrived during the Annual Convention of Jehovah's Witnesses. Most folks use the Convention Center for their gatherings, but not these guys... they use the football stadium!! Eek, glad I got a room.

The next day was strictly for resting, checking over the bike, and of course finding one of the most colorful Ninjettes I've seen.

And the rider of said bag of Skittles... @alex.s!

My trip was off to a great start and it hadn't really begun yet. I hung out with Alex for awhile at Starbucks, talking of pretty much everything, before it was time for me to head off and prepare for the early morning start time.

My goal was met for this weekend. I made it to San Diego, met two Ninjetters, and had my paperwork signed by a local IBA member. All is grand!

Link to original page on YouTube.

Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.

Last futzed with by NevadaWolf; July 14th, 2014 at 06:38 PM.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.