NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrink View Post
First the question:
Since people are coming from different directions, do those farthest from the starting point just do a long ride before the long ride, or meet at points along the way (how exactly would that work)?
The way it worked last time was those of us coming from afar either rode down the night before and got a hotel (@chrly and me ended up in the same town by coincidence) or rode in the morning of (everyone else). I pick a place/time at the starting point and it's really up to you how you get there. If you post up your plans and it aligns with someone else coming in, you guys can make joint plans.

This is the big reason I want to know who's interested. I try to make the start and end somewhat middleish to be the least inconvienent for everyone.

Quote:
Now the problem:
So I figured out what all that lower back and hip pain is all about... apparently, I've got a bulging disk in L5, which makes sitting very uncomfortable. I've been at the chiropractor 3X per week this month, and am motivated to get better ASAP! I'd like to participate as much as I reasonably can, but it wouldn't be wise for the group to plan around me since I can't make guarantees at this point. Since the ride is reasonably close enough to me (Folsom), I'll try to participate in whatever way my body allows. I doubt I'll be able to do the full mileage, but we'll see.
No problem.

This is all about fun and enjoyment and only a little bit about pushing mileage limits. I overplan and then try to build in bail out points for those who either decide enough is enough or for those who have long rides home and want to cut out early. Example on our last ride involved a trip over Tioga Pass. ma Nature decided she wanted to test out her rain and snow making equipment while we were up in Yosemite Valley. Plans can easily change.

Quote:
In regards to the route (regardless of back pain):

Re:Proposed Option 1 - I've done the 88-89-50 loop part (backward to your proposed direction) at the beginning of the season, and it was nice.

The only part I did that deviated from the loop was (coming from 49) I tried Fiddletown Rd to Shake Ridge Rd to connect to 88, which cut off about a third of 88. This little detour looks nice on the map, but in reality I didn't like that part (too slow, and road conditions aren't great), BUT the rest was good! I know this detour wasn't part of your proposal, but thought I'd mention it in case anyone wondered about those two roads.

If the group went with option 1 as proposed, due to health and location, I'd likely pick it up when the group came through Jackson (That's a lot of zigzagging up and down those Sierras, LOL. Nothing wrong with that though). Overall it sounds like a pretty solid ride. If I'm able to due the second half, this half would be new to me.
I was looking at Fiddletown Road as it comes into the Volcano route I've done and was trying to link sections up in non highway connections.

This option really is for the "just want to ride on good roads" approach and that I'm familiar enough with to lead well.

Quote:
Re: Proposed Option 2 - I like this idea in theory. If the roads get me out of my seat it would be easier on the back, but looking at the map I see the two roads I mentioned earlier that were kind of disappointing. Those really are the only ones I've been on that are off the main highways, so I'm interested in hearing what roads you're thinking about.
Yeah, its the area around Volcano, mostly goat roads, narrow back country canyon twisties that are slow speed with a patchy road. Part of the route I took @tfkrocks on, but with added roads for me that I've never been on. Trying to get a screen shot of the map, but the browser keeps crashing.

This option is more the "bored with the main roads, let's find some interesting back roads" approach. Hehehe
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote