View Single Post
Old September 6th, 2021, 04:20 PM   #8427
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedrewski86 View Post
Hmm, it sure looks like every site I find selling the FH020AA refers to them as mosfet style units. I've installed one of these on an old Shadow I had in the past and it was a mosfet (I think it was the 020 model but I'm not sure) and even the Roadstercycle site says this. They also suggest it for stock bikes with stock lights which is what I have. I'm not opposed to the newer SH775 but it doesn't look like it's recommended for what I intend to use mine for.

I have never had the experience of needing to replace a stator every 3-4 years, and I thought the mosfet r/r was a good option for stator and overall charging system health. Of course, I would love to hear if new information has come to light, but from those sites you listed it looks like I should be ordering a FH020AA... please correct me if I'm wrong.
MOSFET is physical construction of components used. Shunt/series is type of circuit you arrange the MOSFET components into.

Kinda like newsprint paper vs. types of articles written on it. You can have white or yellow newspaper with English or French articles for 4 possible combinations.

1. SCR-shunt
2. MOSFET-shunt
3. SCR-series
4. MOSFET-series

Our bikes don't have any issues with stator or RR really. The ones with more critical issues adopted MOSFET-shunt style over 15-yrs ago. Now they've moved onto series as even better alternative about 5-yrs ago.

There's some misconceptions that 1st started on Aprilia forums while back that I'm doing instrumented testing to clarify. Might be ready in couple months. Looking for dual-channel current datalogger, but may just do it manually.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote