View Single Post
Old January 10th, 2022, 12:46 PM   #1
ColoradoCal
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Calvin

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

Carb woes (hydrolocking on fuel)

I've been lurking around for a bit now, I picked up a 1 owner 2012 Ninja 250 with 27k miles at the end of October. The owner said it had been sitting for about 9 months or so. When purchasing, I was able to jump it and get it briefly running with the choke on.

It sat for a bit after I got it, and I finally got around to getting a fresh battery for it. Filled it up with fresh fuel, and barely got it running with the choke again. After it died a few times, I let it sit and tried again only to get hydrolock symptoms, and fuel dumping out of the overflow hose. I pulled the spark plugs and turned it over to get the fuel out of the cylinders. I decided I needed to dive a little deeper into this, and started the teardown. I noted that the fuel selector on the tank was on PRI not ON. I tried carb cleaner, and got the same results. I picked up an ultrasonic cleaner and ran the carb in that, did a rough bench test with fuel still pouring out of the overflow hose.

What am I missing here? I've seen quite a few recommendations to send carbs to @ducatiman for a rebuild, would he be able to do more than I can?

As a side note, I don't think it is the petcock, now that I have it in the ON position it holds fuel. I don't know why the float needles wouldn't be working correctly.
ColoradoCal is offline   Reply With Quote