View Single Post
Old August 17th, 2010, 10:38 PM   #1
jnninja250r
Qtr Ltr

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE

Smile Total newb in Nebraska, lots of questions.

Long post, sorry in advance
No bike or Motorcycle license yet, and I have next to no riding experience. About all I've ever done is practice taking off in the driveway on my dads 1600 Harley, which I hated and felt was way to big and for me to control, I'm about 5'7" #150. Mostly I'm nervous about laying it over, and ruining his bike, as well as not being to heavy to be able to get it off of myself if it did. After reading up about beginner bikes around the web, getting insurance quotes, and sitting on several different bikes, I've decided on a Ninja 250 for my first bike, sort of partial to green right now, though purchase is probably a month or so away. I'm signed up to take the Motorcycle Safety Course in a few weeks, and I've started to get together safety gear.
I've gotten most of it at a local dealer that helps with the course, they provide bikes, and Kawasaki lets them use a course at their Nebraska production plant, not sure what they make there, but back on topic. Most of its been based on the dealer's recommendations, what I've gotten so far:
Helmet: Exo:1000, It was on sale, and think I got a great deal on it at the local dealer, but I don't really know much about helmets. Thoughts on the Exo?
Jacket: Castle Turbine Jacket, I like it because i was a fairly lightweight mesh, with an extra zip in liner.
Gloves: Joe Rocket Reactor 2.0
Boots: None of the cycle shops in town seemed to have anything my size. Finally found a pair of Harley-Davidson branded riding boots, but I don't particularly care for them.
Any thoughts on what I have so far? Anything you'd recommend returning or exchanging?
I think I have all the required gear, but what other safety gear would you recommend, that isn't required?

One thing I'm nervous about is every dealer I have been to tells be to go with a bigger bike, and that I can't take it down the Highway. I'd be mostly around town maybe some short 5 mile commutes down the interstate to work, and a longer trip every other month or so. Is the ninjette up to that? Some people I have talked to have made it sound like it'll instantly trash the bike.
Thanks, Jeremy
jnninja250r is offline   Reply With Quote