View Single Post
Old July 31st, 2014, 07:31 PM   #17
bruce71198
ninjette.org sage

Name: bruce

Motorcycle(s): Race bikes:08 Ninja 250,11 R6,16 ZX6,SV650.3 HD-1947,2-2003,2010. 1946 Indian and a lot of dirt bikes.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by micoulisninja View Post
Bruce I am still thinking about that because I am going to use even bigger psitons than yours and they are going to be that close to one another...
So please tell me a couple of things to have into consideration...
1. you did check the head and cylinder block for warp before rebolting them together ?
2. did the gasket you used have two separate "gas sealing" circles, one for each piston or did they merge into one in the middle ??
3. did you use a special order gasket or did you open up a factory one ?
4. did you use any kind of sealant on it ?? (eg copper stuff or some kind of glue ??)
5. is there any posibility that the piston bumping at the squish point onto the head's surface, could have "lifted" the head so that it would let heat and gas find a weak point and make it through there little by little ??

I am trying to diagnose your engine's problem not only because I really want you to make this work, but also because I am probably going to encounter similar problems with my project to come...I am already thinking of keeping CR at 13:1 at the most...maybe even less...
how are things going over there for you ?? any progress ?? put it back together yet or did the damage ruin some parts ?? (hope not the JEwels...)
Stock gasket opened up, no sealer. This may be the cause of the failure due to the fact that with so little squish the flame front, if you will, would be hitting the gasket material rather than the exposed cylinder wall that is typically there. So I ordered a thicker head gasket made of copper (thanks racerx for the supplier) and am now thinking that I should have raised the cylinder up more with a base gasket to expose the cylinder wall more as a thicker head gasket will do nothing to test my theory.
bruce71198 is offline   Reply With Quote