View Single Post
Old September 10th, 2015, 02:33 PM   #66
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
I got looking at the old Intiminator thread on the SV forum, and ended up browsing some of their shock upgrade stuff. It seems they're using ZX-10/14 shocks for budget upgrades.

Code:
BIKE MODEL	RATE (kg/mm)	RATE (lb/in)	RIDER (lb)
06-07 ZX-10R	8.3         	465         	157-166
06-11 ZX-14R	9.7         	543         	230-240
These two particular models have the reservoir coming straight off. Other years have angled reservoirs, which makes mounting them harder/impossible on the SV.

I was hoping to find a comparable Kawasaki shock that wouldn't require messing with the mounting stuff. Unfortunately, these both use 10mm mounting bolts, so they'll still require the same mods as the GSXR shock there. The width may or may not fit our little Ninjas better. RT does list the same replacement spring part numbers for these and the GSXRs, so they might serve as cheap spring donors if nothing else. They talked about getting these dirt cheap (under $30), but they seem to be closer to $100 on eBay now. If these manage to be less work to get installed and/or you do find one cheap, they might still be a good budget upgrade.

Hopefully someone here has access to one of these shocks (or is willing to buy one as a guinea pig) and can see how applicable it is.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote