View Single Post
Old March 29th, 2019, 10:58 AM   #8
Mohawk
ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): ZZR250, VFR800

Nothing will stop a blind or distracted driver from switching lanes or pulling out on you. The self confessions on here show that people are NOT willing to do what’s required to compensate for the poor design or vision from their vehicle. I know I have a pillar either side that obstructs my vision & I deliberately alter my body & head position to ensure I see around this obstruction. Likewise I adopt a 4 view check when pulling out of a side road, this compensates for moving vehicles being obstructed as I look around the pillar. Basically come to a stop at the junction, then look both ways TWICE this ensures anything you might have missed on first look one way should now be visible.

But with the view on the other foot, when you know there is a hidden or poor visibility junction ahead, then adjust your speed & road position to give you & other road users the best possibility of seeing you or avoiding a collision. It’s no good being right “I was only doing the speed limit” when you wake up in hospital with broken bones &/or bike.

But as a friend discovered last week, you can’t compensate for everything, like the parked driver that decided to do a U turn in the road without looking or indicating. Leading to my friend being hit off his bike & waking up in hospital with 6 broken ribs, a tube coming out of his chest for the lung reinflation & weirdly I broken toe ! How they found that on an unconscious patient we don’t know !

Be careful out there, they ARE out to get you.
Mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote