View Single Post
Old October 21st, 2020, 10:11 AM   #2
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
You mentioned this "difficulty turning" before and I'm wondering where it's coming from. Let's examine what that guy is saying and doing:

Which bike is he riding?
"i throw a short shift in" - so coming out of 14, he shifts up? What RPMs is he starting this drive?
"it unloads the bike, it turns" - I take it he means it unloads front-end? Turning between 14 & 15 should be already set up by this point.
"and the throttle stays pegged to the stops." - so full-throttle out of 14 and through 15?

Technique will vary depending upon bike. I'm 15s/lap faster @TH on my CBR600RR compared to Ninjette and I can't do above or I'll run off between 14 & 15 backwards. So I assume he's on Ninjette of some sort. Or bike with traction-control so it doesn't spin back tyre no matter how much throttle is applied.

This "difficulty turning" you express seems similar to another guy with big Ducati missing apexes and running wide on exit. I think even before those steps above, you want to examine things that are occuring beforehand, separate into individual sequences. I think by time "upshift and unload front-end" occurs, it's already too late:

1. braking into corner - don't try to do too much at once. Rather than trying to brake later and later, work on braking harder and harder first from same braking-marker. This alleviates your brain from having to make too many changes at once. Will find you'll have some extra space and time when you've slowed down sufficiently for corner, which is very, very good to set up next step. Use the overhead bridge for braking-marker rather than tar-snakes so that you can get all braking done by time you get to turn-in point. This frees up your brain to focus on most important part next.

2. turn-in - late-apex T14 to set up for 15. What you want to work on is faster and faster lean-over speed. The faster you go, the faster you need to go from straight-up to max-lean. So work on flicking bike over, not gentle nudge, but forceful push on inside bar. Also work on leaning tiny bit more. I think that's answer for your "difficulty turning" issue. You're trying to go faster, but same turn-in/flick-over speed will cause you to miss apexes and run wide. Parking-lot practice with figure-8 and U-turn boxes are great to get faster turn-in speeds.

3. upshift out of 14, full-throttle through 15 - this part is easy once you've got turn-in done.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote