View Single Post
Old June 15th, 2021, 05:25 AM   #3
Gearbox Paul
ninjette.org member

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R, 2007 CBR 125R (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfkrocks View Post
The engine should be fine, but I wouldn't feel comfortable getting a bike with that many miles that doesn't have a solid maintenance history. If it were a 1 or 2 owner bike with all maintenance records and most everything been done, sure. I feel like the biggest things I ever look for on any of the small Ninjas is just crash damage and if they've done a valve adjustment ever (along with other basic maintenance).

I haven't had any issues with my Ninja 300 other than the self-inflicted kind lol. 60k miles for me now. I've had the pregen and new gen 250 as well and I like the 300 best.
Thanks for your comments, that helps. Unfortunately, the only maintenance history available for this bike is for the time the present owner owned the bike. And that's only one year or so. No history available prior to that. The owner did confirm that the valves were not checked in the past year, so they will have to be done. He is adjusting the price downwards to account for this expensive procedure (if I buy the bike, I'll check/adjust the valve clearances myself...).

I shop around for used Ninjettes all the time. Maybe I've just been unlucky, but I've never found a used bike where someone had all of the maintenance records. Maybe because Ninjettes are beginner bikes, but I find that most if not all of the owners I've talked to who are selling these bikes haven't the slightest clue about how the bike works, maintenance, etc. They just ride, and...and crash/drop the bike!

Anyhow, it's reassuring that you have a high mileage Ninja 300 and it is still running fine. I'm not hearing that there are specific inherent issues/problems these Ninja 300's.
Gearbox Paul is offline   Reply With Quote