View Single Post
Old June 3rd, 2017, 07:38 PM   #66
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Charles, funny you bumped this thread today. I was just working on my swap.

RacerX is right, the electrical connectors all appear to be identical. Wire lengths, connectors, locations for terminals, etc. No concerns there.

The exhaust flange design is definitely different between generations as well. The way the header mounts to the head and seals is different. I have a newgen exhaust on order from Tyga. Hopefully the hanger/clamp setup is flexible enough to allow it to hang on the pregen. (I bet it's fine)

The upper mount presents the fun part of this. The meat at the mount point on the pregen head is ~120mm wide. The mount bolt goes through the left side bracket and threads into the right side bracket. The mounts are the same style for the newgen, but the material at the mount point was beefed up to ~130mm from my measurements today. From eyeballing it, it looks as though the added width on the newgen is symmetrical and both pregen front mounts need to have 5mm taken off of them. Or... use the newgen front mount brackets, but RacerX tells me that the pregen radiator mount pattern is different than the newgen radiator mount pattern, so if you're not wanting to modify things, you'll have to pair a newgen radiator with newgen front mount bracketss or a pregen radiator with pregen front mount brackets.

I'll share whatever I end up doing as I get there. I'm thinking of machining just because I have such a nice machine shop at my disposal, but we'll see how that goes. The brackets might be a bear to mount up square on the Bridgeport.

EDIT: The good news is the rear two mounts are identical. My newgen engine is currently dangling in my frame by just the two rear mount bolts. No worries for now.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote