Thread: First
View Single Post
Old April 2nd, 2018, 10:13 PM   #12
Angel-be-Good
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '11 Street Triple R

A few more impressions:
  • The mirrors are good! I remember having a hard time getting a good view through the 250's mirrors -- I had to angle them /just so/ such that I could look through the triangular nook between my hip and the inside of my elbow. The 400 mirrors are further forward, and so see better around me. Maybe I've just been used to inward-facing bar ends on my Triumph, but the view from the Ninja 400 mirrors is great.
  • The engine vibrates more than I remember on the 250. Not at all RPMs -- when it's spinning high, it's pretty smooth, but somewhere in the middle of the RPM range it'll shake the mirrors.
  • Probably the same vibration, but a slightly different effect: You can feel the twist of the engine, almost like a baby boxer twin engine tugging left and right. It's pretty faint, but it's there, and some evidence of the improved torque of the 400.
  • Did my typical freeway commute today, a breeze on the 400. Ran into wind, big hill, etc., and the bike always has power to accelerate.
  • I forgot to mention, the dash cluster not only shows MPG, it also has an "ECO" indicator that flashes in and out depending on how economically you're riding. I don't know if it's targeting a specific MPG rating, or just looking at throttle position, but I suppose there's something there for MPG-conscious folks who...like watching the dash more than the road ahead?
  • I feel like my knees have more room vs. the 250. On the 250, my knees were basically up against the crook under the outer lip of the gas tank. On the 400, I don't feel like my frame is pushing the limits of knee room. I think a difference in tank shape just makes this more roomy without making the bike actually bigger.
  • Even non-ABS bikes (like mine) have toothed rings around the brake disc for ABS systems.

I did some more searching on the Ninja 400, looks like in Japan they're also selling a Ninja 250 with the exact same bodywork (and apparently 36hp?!). From what I can tell, the blue color I got is available only on the 250 in Japan. Black is available only on the 400.

Happy to answer any questions anyone has about the bike.