View Single Post
Old October 18th, 2021, 08:57 AM   #18
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

LOL Drew Has a very good point on a limited budget !!! simply take it out and try it... I found on several bikes I could go out in the desert just fine near Las vegas Nv. including street bikes, that were made for pavement only.
I had a little kawasaki 100cc that I took out there with my Uncle's big suzuki 400cc and my other uncle's 175 yamaha both were dirt bikes but mine was a street bike and I had no trouble at all.... because it was light ! we chased rabbits and each other and had a bunch of fun and that little Kawowi did supprisingly well in an invirement where it wasn't supposed to...even with street tires on it !.... and I rode it up there to meet with them LOL....
if your making that ninja into a dirt bike... your not the first !... a few others on here have done that and the report is favorable ! the engine has the power, but the suspension needs to be addressed ! especially for hard dirt riding...
I suppose if you didn't go bizerk, out there it just might hold it's own fairly well,... with no modifications.... the problem would be deep sand though because of the weight and the small front tire.... if you really reduced the weight, and I am sure you could remove at least 100lbs off a ninja, that might make all the diference in the world !
perhaps you could just add a front tire instead of the whole front end ?
add some spacers in the forks to compress the stock springs a bit more
and that would give you some height, 1" PVC pipe should make quick work of that....
But like Drew said .... Try it and see, that way you can see first hand what is more important to modify...... makes sense to me !
Bob........