View Single Post
Old April 4th, 2011, 12:06 AM   #2
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldenso View Post
So I rode to my girlfriend's place yesterday taking the side roads/country roads. There are some twisties but it's fairly straight and boring, just a nice change from the hwy.

The ride started off fairly nice, the weather was about 10 degrees and it was sunny. I just wore my jacket with the liner and a tshirt underneath (and brought a sweater in my backpack along with my shoes and whatever else I brought to her place). Eventually it cooled off so I pulled over and put on my sweater.

Because it was fairly busy, when I approached a turn I'd slow right down a ways before it, then accelerate hard at it so I could feel what it's like to take corners quickly , which was tons of fun. There was one EXTRA sketchy corner, where I came in to too fast, then I noticed there was some sand/dirt on the road and I thought "here we go". I started turning while braking pretty hard(front brake mostly, bad idea?) and actually took a foot off (my moto skills kicked in) and I'm sure I looked like a dumbass. I did manage to complete the turn. I continued to go hard at corners trying to hang off the bike as much as possible, and feel I did quite well for just starting riding a street bike a few days ago. I did decide that I need to slow it down a bit, as I am feeling too comfortable already.

I also started testing extra hard braking, and locked up my back wheel a few times. I had no issue with this, as I'm used to it from dirt bikes, and was quite comfortable with it. I then went to a slightly dirty part of the road and accelerated hard, to try to see what it feels like so I know the feeling.

Finally, without trying, I was down shifting and I locked up the back wheel coming to a red light, and again, I felt fine with it. After every lock up I looked back to spot some rubber, but I didn't see any .

The only thing which I am assuming I will experience soon is a loose rear wheel in a corner, but I'm going to do my best to avoid that.

Overall it was a ton of fun, and I'm pissed that it snowed tonight and I wont be able to ride for a few days because of snow and rain in the forecast!
be sure to post in this thread in a few weeks... if that long. these are not dirt bikes. Just one crash can have a $ignificant impact on your wallet and health. with such a heavy hand (and feet) coupled with a lack of experience, it's just a matter of time. sleep tight.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25913
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote