View Single Post
Old April 1st, 2014, 07:27 PM   #106
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadd View Post
Does this sound and look normal to you? Bike started up just fine. No choke (as always). I let it idle for 5-10 mins. Then adjusted idle speed (via little hand twist knob).

The idle bounces up and down a little (from 1k - 1.4k). Is this normal? Do your bikes do the same?

Also, when I rev it, the rpms drop, however it hangs a little bit between 2k - 3k before dropping back down to idle speed. I'm guessing that's a sign of running too lean??? (that's what I've read in the DIY section). Is this a sign of the rpms hanging a bit before dropping?
Use the choke on cold days. it's what it's for.
When you set the idle the bike really needs to be at full operating temp. 5-10 minutes of idling is not going to do it especially in cold weather. You need to ride it.
Because the slides are vacuum (start moving about 3k) operated there will be a slight delay (hanging) of the idle speed. It's not necessarily and indicator of being lean. If you are worried about it being lean, use the choke, it really, really helps the warm up. It's not going to hurt. This way you don't have to let it idle for ten min. keep in mind the idle speed will change as the ambient temps change, so you will need to adjust it accordingly.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote