View Single Post
Old May 2nd, 2017, 01:59 PM   #33
corksil
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
That's an interesting topic... the "it's not worth it" decision point. We all have one, even the most hard-core ATGATT riders.
Interesting topic as well. Malcom gladwell had a book about "tipping points" which was interesting to read.

Everyone has a tipping point as to when more or less gear is deemed appropriate. Then again, the thinking of an individual fluctuates slightly from day to day and must be taken into account. "Enough" gear on one day may be different than what an individual perceives as "enough" gear on a different day.

I think the most important thing is gear that is easy to put on/off.

For example, putting on wrist guards. elbow pads. a padded shoulder and abdomen vest. a back protector. a jersey, and finally a chest protector. All of those things require their own effort to put on/off. If one were to simply have a jacket, or a single garment with all of that protection built into it -- it would be more convenient because there wouldn't be as many individual steps involved to "gear up."

Another thing is comfort. If I put on my leather jacket and zip it up to the collar, it affects my neck ability. With the jacket all zipped up tight, I cannot turn my head as far to either side. Obviously that is a good thing, and the jacket has been designed that way to protect the neck in a crash -- but if I can't head-check when changing lanes as easily -- the gear is ultimately perceived to be more of a hindrance than anything else.

Another big one for most is heat. Nobody likes to feel as if they are a tea bag steeping in their own juices when they come to a stop light or need to perform a task like checking a PO box or going into a store for an item or two.

Sometimes it's impractical to remove all the gear just to accomplish a simple task like the ones mentioned. And removing all the gear poses it's own problems. For example -- removing a several hundred dollar leather jacket for the sake of comfort before going in to a store. Where the ufck are you gonna put the jacket? If you leave it on the gas tank, someone could steal it. If you are gonna whip out a cable and chain it to the bike through the sleeves, it would take time and is an extra item to haul around and deal with. Sure, you could carry the jacket into the store but it weighs 17 freakin pounds. You might as well wear it, because you'll need both hands free to inspect items in the store and complete the checkout process and payment etc.

I don't really have any answers but this is a good discussion and I like hearing from others about their own coping mechanisms in the universal "gear" paradox that all riders face. Summer is here now, so it's more of an issue than ever.

We all know that we should wear more gear. That's a universal constant. Yet there are so many reasons (real and imaginary) not to.