View Single Post
Old July 9th, 2017, 06:53 PM   #6
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Name: AJ

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Kawasaki Ninja 250r(SOLD) 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250r full Muzzy(my pride and joy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtom View Post
I enjoy my carburetors but only because I ride often and they stay cleaned. I also didn't have nearly as much trouble cleaning and tuning them as some people do because I've monkied with lots of small engine carburetors before. Knew one guy with a Honda Shadow that'd been sitting for two years because he couldn't figure it out, and by the time I met him and wanted to help him, he was just so done with it that he was selling it and buying a different bike.

Carbs are great. I like them. They're just nice. They're a really fun way to get intimate with the bike if you're that type of person (Not everyone is, and that's okay!).

I also like fuel injection. It doesn't break as much. Although, carbs don't really break that much either when taken care of.

The only thing I really dislike about carbs is that you do lose a sometimes significant amount of performance when you're riding at a different elevation than when you tuned it. It really is noticeable. One time I thought I was on a big hill when I was on a small slope that would normally give my bike no trouble (it's hard to interpret gravity on a twisty road when you've been riding for a while :P) That said, it really only happens when you go up a couple thousand feet.
I can honestly see how people can actually love carbs. A guy like ducatiman just has too considering the work he does. Sounds like you feel the same.