View Single Post
Old July 11th, 2017, 10:08 AM   #22
Ram Jet
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatiman View Post
I'll respectfully disagree in a sense...IMHO Mikuni CV's more complicated by design ...but this is not a bad thing....designed with throttle shafts, jet blocks and slide bridges removable for convenient service...affording deep access to the various circuits and moving parts.Throttle shaft seals are actually available and replaceable...though replacement very tricky on a 4 cylinder application.

Keihin "hidden circuits" designed to offer less access...as a result..simpler...less parts. Perhaps a bit more difficult and resistant to cleaning ...the Mikunis more "friendly" via accees.

Keihin CVK's (on the EX250/500....throttle shafts not serviceable (nor are internal seals and washers) jets thread into carb body (not a removable block) and slide bridges pressed in...aqain not serviceable.

The raw materials used in Mikuni's I think a bit more resistant to condensation. They tend to clean up better (the way they react to sodablast and ultrasonic) and suffer less water "stains"....in the bowls for instance.

Note I'm comparing Keihin sidedraft CVK (on EX 250/500)and Mikuni downdraft CV carbs here used on Ducati twins, Yamaha R6 and YZF1000, and older flatslides used on Suzuki Bandit 600.

To sum up..the Mikuni better materials and design, Keihins simpler....again IMHO.
Thanks Gordon, great feedback. You know, I never liked the idea of a carburetor controlling my throttle input like CV carbs. In fact, I wonder if a CV carb ever gives you full throttle regardless of the butterfly position. How do you know? I'm certain on a non CV Mikuni. Anyway, if I don't ask you to work your magic on my Keihins someday I would consider installing a set of Yamaha RD400 carbs on the Ninja. It would be an interesting project.

Cheers,

Bill
Ram Jet is offline   Reply With Quote