View Single Post
Old July 12th, 2017, 01:37 PM   #30
Ram Jet
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonik View Post
Just because "that's the way old guys did it" is not the way to keep thinking with any sort of technology, especially carbs. It's antiquated and needs to go away.

I couldn't wait to get away from carbs on my bikes and with 10% ethanol appearing everywhere in fuel, I can't stay away from them enough anymore because of what it does to the jets when they sit, for even two weeks without being run.

Argument:
Formula 1 cars get better performance and economy with modern technology.

The environment will suffer less as we improve our concepts and technology on fuel use.

Ask yourself briefly, "Will the argument, 'should we keep slavery alive just because the old guys did it that way?' still work? NO THAT'S STUPID. Just like it would be stupid to not have and actively promote -on all platforms- our technology help our society advance and make us better people.

Yes, it is cool to be nostalgic for old stuff, but it is definitely time to kick archaic active things to the curb like NASCAR and other dino-sports that do not respect and promote the protection and furthering of technology that will move us into fuel efficient vehicles to reduce carbon footprints.

With the US Government waiting for 30-40 year long "fleet-turnover" to slowly outdate carb-powered vehicles, this isn't happening fast enough. We should be converting these little monsters or taxing them at a higher rate to push them out of the active fleet faster.

Not only are carbs a pain in the ass to keep in tune after engine temp and climate changes, there are such better performing answers out there, it's silly. Just look at how much more reliable the Ninja 300 is at starting than the 250.
Indy 500 cars started running fuel injection in 1949. Fuel injection is no big news story. I believe that the reason carburetors have been our mainstay in autos and bikes is that there is lower acquisition costs for the consumer with carbureted engines. Enter stage left and it's the E.P.A. and they gave manufacturers a reason to believe.

What's the cost of a carburetor rebuild kit vs. a fuel injector system's "black box" ? All these computer controlled widgets are going to retire the "shade tree mechanic". In addition the expenses associated with all this technology will leave a-lot of potential bikers sitting on the curb. I paid $1,500.00 for my 07' Ninja in March. I would guess that all the work I did on it in March, April and May would have cost me in excess of $1,500.00 at the dealer and he wouldn't have done the detail work I did. Not only will the internal combustion engine fade into history so will the average motorcyclist. Not many people can afford a $6,000.00 motorcycle and pay the mortgage and feed the family.

Enough Obamaisim already.

Bill
Ram Jet is offline   Reply With Quote

0 out of 2 members found this post helpful.