View Single Post
Old April 1st, 2019, 08:17 AM   #1
Jduncan_13
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja EX250

06 ninja 250: FUEL PROBLEM- starts with starting fluid then dies

Hello everyone,

I apologize in advance for being a complete rookie when it comes to forums as I have never actually joined one until today. I’ve read just about every fuel related forum on here and put in several hours of research

I bought a pretty beat looking 2006 ninja 250 for my friend up in Delaware a week ago and to my understanding it has a fuel related issue. When I bought the bike the guy told me that the diaphragm and floats were the issue. It would start with starting fluid, rev pretty high for about 3 seconds or so, then shut off, choke or not. So I tested it and well... that’s exactly what it did.

Took the carb off the bike which was a pain, but I got it out. Disassembled it, it looked a little dirty, almost like rust was in the float bowl, or something orange colored and chalky, but very little amounts of it were actually in there as the previous owner claimed to have cleaned it out before. every jet and hole was sprayed with carb cleaner and blasted with compressed air, and had it looking pretty clean. I did notice the one float sat just a little bit higher than the other, so I just kind of eye balled it the best I could and adjusted the one so it was the same height. I plan on taking it apart and putting a rebuild kit in there and adjusting everything properly this week, so I figured it the one float was just a little off it should at least putter or do something right? I also adjusted both pilot screws (I think they’re called) to 2 and a half turns from closed as one forum said to do. They were drilled out by a different owner so I’m assuming it’s been apart before.

Fuel did go out of the line that connects to the carb body via 90° Bend black plastic piece, but I did not yet check to see if it was getting into the carb, that will be done tonight.

Anyways, put everything back on and same thing, only would start with starting fluid then rev and die.

Not out of ideas quite yet, but looking to get an input from any other members with fuel related issues like this? Things to check, adjust etc. also if anyone can link me to a good rebuild kit for this bike I’d really appreciate it.

Thanks and have a great day!
Jduncan_13 is offline   Reply With Quote