View Single Post
Old June 8th, 2011, 06:01 AM   #172
Lowspeed Lowside
Tightwad Tinker

Name: Hans

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer x View Post
Since motovation is the issue.I need an ignition system for.a turbocharged 250 Ninja. The BRT Tis system cost 375 dollars and works great. I know how to program that .So why reinvent the wheel? I can now spend 725 dollars on the rest. What is your budget for the ignition system alone?
We'll probably spend less than $10 for the ignition system.

So, now your probably thinking: B-b-b-b-but you just spent over $200! In which case you obviously haven't considered that we'll definitely need a microcontroller for the fuel injection, but the PIC32 on the USB-Whacker can easily handle the ignition as well, therefore we don't need to budget it twice. We are simply using existing capacity more efficiently. Same reasoning applies to the tablet, not to forget, that one could even make a case that the tablet doesn't count at all.

For the ignition circuit we'll essentially need 2 MOSFETs, 2-4 resistors and 2 diodes, which should total less than $5. Have a look at the following circuit board and the bill of materials here: http://dev.vernonjohnson.net/myPIC32/design.htm On the right side you can clearly see 16 MOSFETs (black thingies with 8 small legs - amplify voltage of the computer 3.3V pin to the voltage from the 12V battery) and 16 diodes (black thingies with 2 large legs - primarily a safety measure to prevent any current from flowing backward, which could damage the electronics). Remember, that board can handle up to 12 cylinders and 24 injectors.

Btw, was the BRT Tis system running when you put a hole into your piston? http://www.sportisimoto-usa.com/ignition.php has no information on what's inside the box, so the first thing you need to do is open it up and take a peek inside. Look at the codes on the individual components and use google to fine out what they do. Just because that thing is programmable doesn't mean it will give you the timing resolution you need, for example, the software may let you program values that a device with a 32Khz crystal will have to round so extremely that at 12000RPM any fine tuning is impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnNinjaGirl View Post
The turbo is in great condition. I don't intend on selling it.
OK. Just out of curiosity...did this thread in any way influence your intention not to sell it?

Last futzed with by Lowspeed Lowside; June 8th, 2011 at 06:09 AM. Reason: Added 2nd quote
Lowspeed Lowside is offline   Reply With Quote