View Single Post
Old February 26th, 2013, 11:20 AM   #19
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer x View Post
When you build engines for real. Like to set land speed records. You have to know the compression ratio so you can tune it for what ever fuel and use the engine will see. Like for a turbo to set the boost level. You need to have all the information before you start.

The magic stuff happens between Suck ,squeeze ,bang and blow. Things like scavenging. Or cam over lap and cam center.

I have a set of adjustable cam sprockets. I spent weeks fooling around with them. I took them off because it was just one more thing to deal with. And I don't understand it enough.

I found that moving the cams either direction I could make the compression gauge read from 100 to 300 psi.
There is a lot of power locked up in the cylinder head.

I really can't build motors. I put junk together for myself and hope it does not blow up. I have some one else building me a real motor.
Cam timing is pretty important.. Adavance the cam you get better bottom end power/torque, Retard it for better top end horsepower.
Allot of manufactures are using variable cam timing in there motors these days... get the best of both worlds.
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote