adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ии View Post
i got alpinestars fastback wp last week as i do not want a full sport boot. Cant say i am impressed with them at all. little to no ankle support or protection, i am going to return those and get the tcx x-move wp boots. they are sturdier, taller, and have more protection, not to mention they are $40 cheaper.
Those TCX boots are way better than shorties (might as well be wearing sneakers) and look to be a reasonable compromise that actually looks pretty good.

One thing to think about is shin protection from rocks and such... that's why most riding boots are as high as work boots. Those TCX boots look a little shorter than touring boots, but not much... maybe an inch? Should do a good job of protecting you.

I wear touring boots on the street and full race for the track. The touring boots are really cheap ones... Bilt Trackstars from Cycle Gear... and they're working pretty well. Life looks to be about three or four riding seasons, which is more than offset by the price. It's a race between the sole wearing out from my rearsets and the material giving up around where it bends at the toes.

They have all the basic elements right... tall enough to afford shin protection, with hard panels on the front of the shin... and they're perforated. Comfy enough to wear at work, too. They don't look as good as those TCX, but I don't give a rip about appearance.

Ankle support in a non-race boot is going to come from the boot's material, not any additional stiffeners. You don't see that stuff until you get into real track gear. My track boots are like ski boots, with a plastic exoskeleton... a bit hard to walk in for any length of time.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote