View Single Post
Old November 2nd, 2021, 02:59 PM   #1
BlackCat04
MC Pee Pants

Name: Bodhi

Motorcycle(s): '04 EX250F custom, 2008 Ninja 650R

Trouble with Fuel Mixture Screws

Hello! I'm back from the dead on this fine site.

Okay, so, I've been outta the riding game for a little while, now. I used to ride constantly, but it slowly died-out after I got hit some while back. I was fine, but I just lost the desire to ride for whatever reason! It was kinda weird! But, I'm wanting a bigger bike, so I'm trying to sell my kick-ass lil' Ninja I've got. Obviously, I'm prepping it in order to be sold.

Here's where the issue comes in: The bike is, now, a bitch to start and it bogs, hangs, all that. It ran flawlessly about two months ago! But, I've since touched it. I've given the bike a bath, cleaned the carbs spotless, used Sea Foam, put in clean gas, etc. So, it is *NOT* dirty carbs. I've also changed the spark-plugs. The battery is fully-charged, as well.

I've narrowed it down to the issue being the fuel mixture screws. Let me run you through my specs on my carbs, because they've been modded.

Specs:

- 38/ 110 jets
- 3 shims on each needle
- K&N oval air-filter
- K&N mini for gearbox

Since that's out of the way, let me cover a bit more. I'm hoping someone could help me!

If I manage to fire the bike up with the screws set to the standard 2-1/2 turns, it'll bog when you give it gas. If you get past the little spot that bogs, like ripping the throttle, it'll hang real bad. The carbs/ engine block also sputter exhaust from one of the manifolds (right-hand manifold). The rubber tubes are completely intact, also.

I managed to get it running just enough to force it up the road earlier today, before messing with the fuel mixture screws. I had to rip the throttle to keep it from stalling in 1st. Once the RPMs were high-enough, it was pulling strong. Kicked into 2nd, still fine. Kicked into 3rd to be ready to just cruise after a turn onto the main road, and I immediately felt it dying. It felt wimpy and eventually just bogged-out, then stalled/ died. I thought the float needles might've been getting stuck, but they have no problem moving about!

Moving to this past hour:

I screwed both screws in fully, then backed them out 3 whole turns. Now, it doesn't even wanna start. If I give it gas when I turn the engine over w/ full choke, it just makes the typical bogging noise. I knew it wouldn't be the fix, but I just wanted to try it out and see how close I'm getting. I've given it a break for today. I *hate* tuning the fuel mixture screws. It's had me beat working on it.

I appreciate any and all help I can get!

Thanks. ฅ(^・ω・^ฅ)
BlackCat04 is offline   Reply With Quote