View Single Post
Old March 22nd, 2010, 02:54 AM   #11
karlosdajackal
ninjette.org guru

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R Fuel Injected Model 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgirl View Post
So, I guess I felt left out of all the crashing action that been going on lately. Was cruising down a three lane rd here in Victoria. I was the far left lane going about 60km, the person in the middle lane decided to change lanes, pretty much right on top of me. I locked up the front tire and ended up in 3ft stoppie. Came down leaning left and the bike slid out. I fell of the left side when the bike went down. Of course the cager that cut me off, took off, never to be seen again. 2 very nice people stopped and helped me up, helped me get the bike up and got the bike off to the side of the road. Rather a lot of damage to the left side of the bike. My gear is perfectly fine, not a scuff anywhere. I've got a pretty big bruise on my right knee, bruises on my arms and shoulders, and a pretty nice one on my lower back. And for everyones veiwing pleasure, please see the attached pics. Gonna have to wait and see what the insurance company says... yikes $500 deductable.
This makes no sense at all, 60kph = 37 mph so not that fast, if you needed to drop back the length of a car it would take less than 1 second of very light braking, in fact just rolling off probably would have slowed you down enough.

You drive on the right side in Canada right? 3 lane road probably has a hard shoulder on the right also, why where you in the left lane going so slow, Traffic that bad? I would have thought you'd be in the far right lane and only move left a lane to overtake, then back into the right lane.

Also, you say you locked the front wheel and also did a stoppie, the two would seem to contradict each other, unless after locking you released the brakes, although you'd have to wonder why you didn't release the brakes when the back tire started coming up also?

Cages cut bikes off it happens, if you are in the middle of any lane you can be quite invisible to car drivers. If I I'm on a 3 lane road and on the left most lane, I stay towards the right side so that my headlight is in the same place as a cars right side would be, this is what the other cars are looking for. If I'm in the right lane I stay more to the left. If I'm in the center.... well I have to work twice as hard to be seen, but focus more on being visible to people I'm going past, as people going past me are more likely to see me if they start behind me.

I've been cut off just like you describe a few times, on the bike (and even in my car with daytime running lights) even with trying to make myself visible and at much higher speeds 120kph (75mph) and usually a split second tug on the front brakes with one finger is enough to drop me back a safe distance and that's the end of it.

Anyway glad your OK and being looked after, but it might be worth thinking harder about why this happened. So it doesn't again, because you will get cut off again, so you'll need to react differently

(My Reaction is as follows: My middle finger on my right hand slows me down while my left thumb alternates between high beam and horn, after which the journey continues as normal)