View Single Post
Old May 5th, 2013, 02:19 AM   #55
YouSnooze
ninjette.org member

Name: Doug

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R

Updated thread with some useful info

Wow - thread revival!

My friend just bought a Ninja 300 & I was envious of the GI Pro gear indicator that he installed - as simple as connecting a single plug under the seat .

It got me thinking about my little ol' Ninja 250 and previous success with GPIs as shown on this thread. I bought one of these EBay GPIs for $20 and started to look at alternative ways to wire it as I really didn't want to access the neutral light wire under the instrument panel & cut the device halfway along for this.

Thankfully I can report there IS an easier way of wiring this little device where you do NOT need to make any cuts into the wiring of the device - WIN! You do NOT need a multimeter or any real electrical knowledge for this - you just need to be able to solder well.

With the help of a workshop manual I was able to find the positive wire of the neutral switch. It's in a very accessible position just behind the idle adjustment knob on the left side of the bike. The side fairing does NOT need to be removed for this job. It is just behind the sidestand switch plug and I stripped it just a teency bit & soldered the white GPI wire here. I tapped into power from the licence plate light (using a red 3mm wire soldered to GPI red wire) & grounded the whole thing (using a 3mm black wire soldered to GPI black wire) to a lug underneath one of the fuel tank holder bolts.

With the help of my electrician Father (very useful and indeed soldering expert!!) every join was heat shrunk & then hidden away nicely. Testing the device was successful & we just have to finalize the whole setup by mounting the display, sensors & magnet (semi) permanently - something we didn't quite have time for today. The wires of the sensors were wrapped in a section of 3mm silicone hosing - cut lengthway along the section with small scissors - and then wrapped in electrical tape. It all looks factory stock.

This is a MUCH easier & elegant way of doing this mod for a number of reasons - there is minimal bodywork removal & no need to take a chance in tapping into the wiring halfway along the device.

See what you think & I'll have final pictures soon......

Hope you like it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00584.jpg (101.8 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00585.jpg (88.4 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00586.jpg (59.6 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00587.jpg (76.7 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00588.jpg (69.5 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00589.jpg (67.2 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00594.jpg (59.1 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00597.jpg (58.6 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00608.jpg (102.0 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00611.jpg (69.7 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00613.jpg (54.6 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00615.jpg (68.0 KB, 104 views)
YouSnooze is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.