View Single Post
Old June 16th, 2016, 09:12 PM   #86
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
I found myself in an odd position at Mid-O. With my goal being to be able to ride different bikes fast (and controlled) I was struggling a lot with finding the limits.

On my own bike I am very comfortable with how the bike reacts and know exactly what to expect through much trial and error. I found though that riding a bike that was substantially different (ninja 300 to yamaha r6) I was not able to achieve a similar level of corner speed and lean. With that said I was never trying to push beyond a 7/10ths pace as I was not comfortable enough to.

My issues were finding the edge with different degree of application, which was largely what I worked on. However I've seen people hop from bike to bike and very quickly get up to the same pace before, which is something I seem unable to do.

Basically what I'm asking here is advice for finding the edge on unfamiliar machinery. In particular I wasn't comfortable with adding lean while trailbraking (especially on andy's bike) and with the initial throttle roll on out which I became much more comfortable with over time. With better brakes and more power than I am accustomed to I found it unusually difficult to take corners fast because I was on a faster bike which feels backwards