View Single Post
Old June 18th, 2016, 03:48 AM   #90
Ducati999
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

I have had a couple of days to review the video of my most recent track day(s) and I found another point to relay to newer track riders. No matter how hard you feel you are riding, no matter how far you feel you are leaning off or how soon/hard you think you are getting on the throttle, chances are it is way less than your perception. When following Ben and Chris thru the turns on the track, I would attempt to match their entry speed so I could focus on line, lean and throttle. Since they were right in front of me I did not have to worry about going into a turn too fast and I could try some slightly different lines and focus on getting the bike turned and back on the throttle. Now I feel I must qualify this post since I did go faster, lean farther and have my knee on the deck more than I ever have even when I ride at my "home" track Palmer. My overall success at Mid Ohio was great I just want to point out another "Survival Response" that has to be over come to get faster and smoother at the track. While out on the track, exiting a turn, I felt like I would get on the throttle as early as possible and quite hard (I am always worried about spinning up the rear) yet on the video review, I see that I could have rolled on much sooner and at least 25% harder! I had both Chris and Ben each ride my bike for a session and the rear tire was so much more torn up once they returned to the garage than when I rode the bike. During my very first track day, I felt like I was leaning way off the bike but the video showed how pathetically little I was actually getting over and off the bike. Most people have years of street riding experience before trying the track and old habits are hard to break! I was way further off than I would have ever done on the street yet not even close to even "basic" body position. I also found that if your ergonomics are not set up properly, this will hold you back in many ways. Before adjusting my rearsets I could get into the "Proper Body position" with my butt off the seat, head down and forward near the mirror, knee in the tank and armpit over gas cap, yet I just did not look nor feel quite right. After we repositioned the footpegs to their highest and most forward position (Thanks Chris!) I was solidly locked into place while leaned over and I could touch my knee down earlier in the lean giving a reference for further lean. The point of this post is to keep new rides evaluating their body position, and riding skills always looking for improvement. Even if something is working well for you right now, it may not work as well once you start to get faster!
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.