View Single Post
Old November 16th, 2016, 06:02 AM   #96
Ducati999
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

I would like to continue adding to this thread so others can learn from my mistakes and successes. I have a few issues to work thru and the more I listen to the sage advice and review my riding I have a couple of questions. Should you have read thru all my other posts, you will see that I am not the best at putting my thoughts into words but lets see if I can get this across in an understandable manner.

One of my most obvious problems is being "Tight on the Bars". A lot of this issue comes from lack of fitness but Csmith12's comment above about "sliding rear" and "not pushing harder till I resolve the issue" is a real concern to me. I know they are related. This bring up the question I have but I need to connect the two items.

When I enter a turn, I end up making too many corrections since I am not sure of the "arc/line" my bike will take thru the turn. I try to use (as close as possible) the same entry point and line thru the turn each lap but I don't know if the added inputs are from lack of confidence or bad lines or both. Keith Code says "corrections mid turn are a survival reaction" but if my line is not correct then the "SR" becomes necessary to stay on the track. The uncertainty of the correct line, speed, throttle, and lean angle cause me to be "ready to react" and therefore "tight on the bars". My entry speed is below maximum and as consistent as I am capable of right now. I try to use the same line or as close as possible for my skill but I guess I am simply making the same mistake over and over.

My basic question is: How do I determine the correct/max lean angle for a particular turn so I don't have to use additional inputs? Repetition thru the same turn should work this out but I don't think that is the proper answer. I am not looking for the 37 DEG lean and 50MPH on this line answer but the "correct with throttle or find the right line speed combo answer. There is no doubt that this issue can and will be sorted out this next season as I continue to practice but a little nudge in the right direction is always appreciated.

Part of my plan for this next season, along with improving my fitness, will be to slow down my pace 10-15% and begin to better focus on all the basics especially smoothness. The more I watch my videos from this last season the more I see a kid with a new toy (speed) and I need to stop playing and get my head down and focus more on doing it right more than doing it FAST!
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote