View Single Post
Old January 2nd, 2017, 05:55 AM   #105
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Which bike for track and which for street?

Consider this: Last season, you expressed the "I'm not really enjoying the street anymore after riding on the track" thought to me.

So why not rethink the way you approach the street, and do something that makes it enjoyable again?

As those who ride, rode or are familiar with small bikes -- and therefore recognize what a hoot they are in the real world -- we know that they're hard to beat when it comes to having fun on the road.

Pick the best sportbike you have for the track, sell the other one, and get a little bike for the street. That way you can have a bike that rewards all those skills you're picking up on the track (aside from the "scuffed leather" achievement badge ) when you're riding on the street.

You'll be able to play with limits and finding the edge a little bit in a way that you can't when riding a full-on sportbike on the street.

That's the thing I really miss about the Ninjette. I love the instant power and handling of the GSX-R I ride on the street, but it's too easy. Wrong gear? No problem. The Ninjette rewards skill. The full sportbike lets you get away with a lot more, so it's less satisfying in the end. Unless, of course, all you care about is powah.

Some advantages of this strategy:
- MUCH cheaper insurance, parts and consumables (e.g. tires) means you have more money for track days
- "More fun to ride a slow bike fast.... " - you know the rest
- Less maintenance means you can spend more time working on your track bike, which is good because... Ducati
- Cheaper bike to begin with, so you can get a newer one. Even a brand-new one. Or just pocket the money you're saving.
- You can designate the small bike as a "safe" rain bike if you want, for those days when the punch of that literbike is way too much
- You can try it for a month because you already have a small bike in your garage. Do a deal with Cheryl to borrow her Ninjette.

Disadvantage of this strategy:
- It's an approach based in practicality, not emotion. Riding a bike you love is important. A "meh" bike is just going to sit in the garage anyway.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.