View Single Post
Old January 19th, 2017, 10:49 AM   #107
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati999 View Post

When I enter a turn, I end up making too many corrections since I am not sure of the "arc/line" my bike will take thru the turn. I try to use (as close as possible) the same entry point and line thru the turn each lap but I don't know if the added inputs are from lack of confidence or bad lines or both. Keith Code says "corrections mid turn are a survival reaction" but if my line is not correct then the "SR" becomes necessary to stay on the track. The uncertainty of the correct line, speed, throttle, and lean angle cause me to be "ready to react" and therefore "tight on the bars". My entry speed is below maximum and as consistent as I am capable of right now. I try to use the same line or as close as possible for my skill but I guess I am simply making the same mistake over and over.

My basic question is: How do I determine the correct/max lean angle for a particular turn so I don't have to use additional inputs? Repetition thru the same turn should work this out but I don't think that is the proper answer. I am not looking for the 37 DEG lean and 50MPH on this line answer but the "correct with throttle or find the right line speed combo answer. There is no doubt that this issue can and will be sorted out this next season as I continue to practice but a little nudge in the right direction is always appreciated.

Part of my plan for this next season, along with improving my fitness, will be to slow down my pace 10-15% and begin to better focus on all the basics especially smoothness. The more I watch my videos from this last season the more I see a kid with a new toy (speed) and I need to stop playing and get my head down and focus more on doing it right more than doing it FAST!
Sorry I didn't see this before. Too many steering corrections are a common issue for riders and there are several reasons why. It could be that your entry is wrong, you may be turning too early, apex too soon and have to make corrections near the exit of the turn in order to make it through safely.

It could be that you are not turning the bike fast enough. Even if you turn in the right spot, if you are lazy with your steering then you won't make it to the apex and will have to correct mid corner to get back on the line you intended.

It could be that your entry speed is too high for your comfort zone so you end up gripping the bars too tight which causes the bike to run wide and then you have to make steering corrections (I don't think this is YOUR issues based on how you explained above)

It could be that you aren't looking exactly where you want to go soon enough to be able to consistently make your mid corner reference point so you have to adjust.

Or it could be a throttle control error, getting on the gas too much to soon, adding lean angle and throttle at the same time, being on-the gas while trying to turn the bike etc....or any combination of the above.

Do me a favour and read through the possible options I just listed and see if any of those sound like they may be closer to the issues you are having and then lets talk through it. We will start by identifying the closest possible causes and then what to do to change/improve upon it.

Misti is offline   Reply With Quote