View Single Post
Old September 25th, 2015, 07:06 AM   #38
RadenRider26
Raden Rider

Name: Rhys

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250R 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisiBill View Post
A lot of people think that's too long an interval. While modern manufacturing and oil technology mean that engines can go a lot longer between oil changes, our bikes also share the oil with the transmission. The transmission gears simply chew up the oil a lot faster than in a plain engine, causing the viscosity of the oil to drop quickly. In one test, a Sabre's oil lost 3.9x as much viscosity in 42% of the time, compared to the same oil in an Accord. After only 1500 miles, the bike's 40 weight oil had degraded to 27 weight.

The best thing to do is actually have your oil tested. We can assume oil will degrade in similar ways under similar circumstances, but testing what your specific bike is doing will always be the best way to know its condition. A few tests at different timespans will give you an idea of how the oil is holding up, so you know when it needs to be changed. Once you get that figured out, you can just do occasional tests to verify that things are still going according to plan without having to worry about testing it every single time.

Personally, I figure the cost of an extra oil change or two each year is cheap insurance to avoid subjecting my engine and transmission to unnecessary stress. The 250 holds even less oil than my 500, so there's that much less to shoulder all the wear too.

thanks InvisiBill also the petrol i use here in bali is only 80% ethanol or some thing like that ( and that our high grade petrol) so im think oil change every 3 month is not so bad, or dose the petrole have no effect on the oil