Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
I'll be anxious to hear your findings.
I've been using DuPont Chainsaver for about six months now, both on my bicycle chains, and on my motorcycle chains. Previously, I used lithium based general purpose grease mixed with mineral spirits (AKA Varsol, paint thinner) on my bicycle chains. I applied it after a thorough cleaning in mineral spirits and drying, by putting some in a plastic bottle with the chain, shaking it vigorously for a while, hanging up the chain and letting it dry overnight.

Advantage of Chainsaver: It is less sticky than grease and doesn't get as much road grit in it. It still gets some though.

Disadvantage of Chainsaver: On my bicycle it lasts about 1/3 as long as grease. When I grease a chain, I can ride about 600 miles with no obvious signs of a problem, and I clean and re-grease. If I go over about 900 miles, it sometimes starts to squeak, indicating it's past due for service. When I use Chainsaver, I get squeaking at about 300 miles.

I accurately measure the bicycle chain each time I service it, and replace it when it gets over about 1/16" of increased length in one foot. With grease, that takes at least 15,000 miles, maybe more. I won't know how the Chainsaver does in that regard because I've gone back to grease.

I plan to stay with Chainsaver on my motorcycle chains because they stay cleaner that way, and most of the time I can just apply a new coat without having to solvent clean the chain. Also, it doesn't sling off and cake up under the front sprocket cover like grease or other chain lubes do.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote