View Single Post
Old January 21st, 2021, 04:17 PM   #23
BloodFX
ninjette.org member

Name: Dude

Motorcycle(s): kawasaki eliminator 250 d4

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
You have an 88-07 bike, right? The ecotrons fuel pump will fit transverse if you mount it directly to the airbox.

If you want to experiment with plastic welding (basically a soldering iron and a ziptie as filler) you can strategically cut and notch the airbox for more space to the point I think it could be mounted longitudinally without much fuss and avoid the lean-angle-starvation I experienced at times, but be warned that reducing airbox volume reduces the benefit of having an airbox. If you go to far, you might as well go back to a pod filter. (that said, the airbox was designed in the mid-80's, so my guess is they were only designing to a target volume, rather than an optimized pressure response or flow characteristic. Keep the contours smoothed and you'll be fine if you go the notching route.

If you ditch the airbox, you can use some tin snips and sheet metal to create somewhat of a 4-sided or 5-sided box that's held on by the hose clamps of the pod filter. I did it when I was experimenting with that also. I ended up going back to the stock airbox. I remember did seem to smooth out the VE table a little (minimally).

Don't forget to cut the battery box off of the airbox. That's 90% of the downside of the airbox gone right there.

EDIT: the other thing I'd recommend if you're getting this deep into things is a Thermobob. It fixes the cooling system of this bike to function as it should with a bypass loop and a 180 thermostat. The effect is your engine gets up to operating temp quickly without oscillation, and stays there regardless of how hard you run the bike or how cool it is outside. Stable engine temps are helpful when you're altering fueling/timing based on temperatures.

EDIT2: the pump Greg used is a better option if you can fit it. The pump is submerged in its own sump inside the case. So while it's big, it acts as a surge tank/sump and minimizes/eliminates fuel starvation at high lean angle in sustained corners (assuming you ever track it).
Already have thermobob 3 its awesome.

BloodFX is offline   Reply With Quote