ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old February 20th, 2013, 12:20 PM   #1
melfice
yes, I'm famous.

Name: matt

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninjette 250R

Talking custom gauge mount??

I've already searched the 9+ pages we have here and had no luck. I was wondering is anyone has either found a bracket/mount too use with aftermarket gauges or if they have developed their own. I have a Koso and would like to figure out a way to mount it up to the triples.

I saw a thread in the pre-gen area of a guy who made a carbon fiber mount that went right under his ignition, but he was using Honda bars, so it didn't help out much.

I would post a picture of what I have now, but I'm pretty positive I'd make some of you lose all hope in humanity because it looks like crap. TIA
melfice is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2013, 06:57 PM   #2
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by melfice View Post
I've already searched the 9+ pages we have here and had no luck. I was wondering is anyone has either found a bracket/mount too use with aftermarket gauges or if they have developed their own. I have a Koso and would like to figure out a way to mount it up to the triples.

I saw a thread in the pre-gen area of a guy who made a carbon fiber mount that went right under his ignition, but he was using Honda bars, so it didn't help out much.

I would post a picture of what I have now, but I'm pretty positive I'd make some of you lose all hope in humanity because it looks like crap. TIA
Subscribed. I need a solution as well. All the perforated metal strips I can find are way too big and stiff without nearly enough holes. Also, none have oval holes so I need to break out a drill and make things ugly if a couple pieces don't happen to line up from different angles. I saw a steel Erector-set knock off at a thrift store and considered buying it just to make mounts for things like a J-fender on the F-bike and relocating the rear brake reservoir on the J-bike with A & L rearset adjusters. It was already sold by the time I made up my mind.

I need something bendable, like perf metallic tape, but it needs to be stiff enough to support the gauges.

Drilling the headless ignition cylinder bolts off of the triple is a pain without a vice and drill press, but you can make a plate mount that attaches there with two extensions that share the ignition cylinder mounting bolts (will turn with your steering).

I'm probably just going to remove the birdcage, put up a piece of Lexan, mark the holes, trace an outline, cut it out, and mount the Koso's included "universal" mount to it.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2013, 07:02 PM   #3
melfice
yes, I'm famous.

Right now I have a aluminum sheet holding my gauge its secured under both my handles. It's very messy looking. It moves with my steering, but that's not a problem to me. I need to figure out a way to make it prettier so that's why I'm trying to get ideas from others.

Old February 20th, 2013, 07:03 PM   #4
melfice
yes, I'm famous.

Oh wait, zip ties. Can't forget that I used zip ties as well

Old February 20th, 2013, 09:19 PM   #5
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Here's something similar to the ignition mount I was talking about:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showp...3&postcount=26

Old February 20th, 2013, 09:36 PM   #6
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Oh, and the other stuff I was talking about seems to be called various names like pipe strapping, plumber's tape, pipe tape, pipe strap, etc.

Old February 21st, 2013, 08:33 AM   #7
melfice
yes, I'm famous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Here's something similar to the ignition mount I was talking about:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showp...3&postcount=26
YEAH! thats the thread i saw it at, i could probably do a mock-up of that bracket. in another one of CB's threads this is how he explains he mounted it:

"It's mounted by sliding the bracket under the steering lock housing cover, then drilling it and securing it with two small stainless steel bolts (from a computer chassis, but not yet installed in this photo)."
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=117957

it is still a bit confusing to me, i wish he had placed pics of his install. oh well i guess i will have to go at it blind and try not to break things.

Old February 21st, 2013, 04:15 PM   #8
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk NT650, 1989 Honda Hawk NT650, 1997 GSXR750 Track Bike

I did a similar install of a Vapor on my NT650 by using the ignition cover mounting bolts. Sandwiched between the bolts and the top triple tree.

k-os is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2013, 11:52 AM   #9
EMSRacer07
ninjette.org sage

Name: Byron

Motorcycle(s): Ninja ex250 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-os View Post
I did a similar install of a Vapor on my NT650 by using the ignition cover mounting bolts. Sandwiched between the bolts and the top triple tree.

How do you like the vapor? heard they can be iffy with the tach readings.

Old February 24th, 2013, 01:12 PM   #10
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk NT650, 1989 Honda Hawk NT650, 1997 GSXR750 Track Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMSRacer07 View Post
How do you like the vapor? heard they can be iffy with the tach readings.
I haven't had any issues with mine. The SV650 kit I got comes with a resistor already installed in-line with the tach signal. This eliminates the jumpy readings of the tach.
k-os is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2013, 08:26 PM   #11
UnshavenCanuck
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250

@melfice get some pictures up here there's no reason to feel shame. I'll be in your situation shortly. I just bought the koso rx-1n and will be wiring and mounting it soon, so your mounting could have some good ideas to improve on.

Also does anyone out there have the wiring figured out for hooking this baby up? I'm hopeful I can figure it out but it'll probably take me the better part of a week lol
UnshavenCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2013, 09:38 AM   #12
melfice
yes, I'm famous.

Sorry it's taking so long, I had to put my bike in storage but I got it back again here are some pics of my "mount"...if that's what you can call it.

20130328_170820.jpg 20130328_170908.jpg

Old March 29th, 2013, 11:17 AM   #13
Chicagobob
ninjette.org guru

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '06 Ninja 250, 2018 Honda GL1800B

I think you are on the right track with the aluminum plate. If you use a thicker piece, trim it carefully, smooth the edges and paint it black, it'll look good. Aluminum is pretty easy to bend, cut and drill.

You can attach it with the ignition bolts or the handlebar mounts.
Chicagobob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2013, 11:37 AM   #14
melfice
yes, I'm famous.

Thanks. What I have is the middle gauge of aluminum that I could find. The other sizes were as thin as paper, or just too thick to cut. I'll have to look in a current different store. But thank you, I will appear it black on my next attempt.

I mounted it was under the handlebars using the first screws on each.

Old March 29th, 2013, 11:44 AM   #15
UnshavenCanuck
ninjette.org member

Working on this as I type I used a street sign my buddy gave me and an empty washer jug. Used a scroll saw to cut the intriquet shapes and a jigsaw for the easy ones.

Last futzed with by UnshavenCanuck; March 29th, 2013 at 01:27 PM.

Old April 1st, 2013, 08:38 AM   #16
melfice
yes, I'm famous.

ok, with all my extra time and extra boredom i decided to change up my ugly mount and replace it with something more sturdy and cleaner. you already saw the pics of what it looked like mounted on the bike, here is the actual p.o.s. mount that i did.

this is the "blueprint" of the new mount.

i forgot to take a picture of it when i finished cutting it, but here it is mounted to my KOSO guage. its 25g steel sheet metal.

and this is what it will look like when i have it mounted to the bike.

i was going to place a straight bracket on both sides to secure it to the top of the tripple, then place a elbow bracket on the underside of each side to secure it to the front side of the tripple even further. that will occur today after work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130331_123932.jpg (76.0 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg 20130331_123942.jpg (90.8 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg 20130331_124120.jpg (67.6 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg 20130331_124018.jpg (87.1 KB, 169 views)

Old April 3rd, 2013, 12:33 PM   #17
melfice
yes, I'm famous.

here are the final results of the project that i have been playing with. now i will have to put up pictures of frankenbikeso you can get to know her more.

top.jpg bottom.jpg

the only problem is that i measured everything with the key out of the ignition, so with the key in and turned on, it bumps the meter a bit...okay its more of a snug fit.

Old April 16th, 2013, 09:33 AM   #18
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnshavenCanuck View Post
Working on this as I type I used a street sign my buddy gave me and an empty washer jug. Used a scroll saw to cut the intriquet shapes and a jigsaw for the easy ones.

Mind giving us a break-down of the wiring for a pregen? Also, I'd love to see the inside and back of that shroud!

Old April 16th, 2013, 06:17 PM   #19
UnshavenCanuck
ninjette.org member

Skilletmo's wiring for the newgen is the same on the pregen (possibly the singnal wires were reversed, might have been just me). its funny the only other picture I took but didn't post was the rear view

I used 2 pieces of 1/4 plywood and 1 layer of street sign. I put stove bolts through the wood and covered the heads with the sign then painted.
I had to make a little bracket on the right side of the pic to center the cluster.

I'm still trying to figure what size resistor to use on the tach wire to get the reading more stable

All I used was a drill, jigsaw and scroll saw good luck

Old April 16th, 2013, 07:11 PM   #20
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnshavenCanuck View Post
Skilletmo's wiring for the newgen is the same on the pregen (possibly the singnal wires were reversed, might have been just me). its funny the only other picture I took but didn't post was the rear view

I used 2 pieces of 1/4 plywood and 1 layer of street sign. I put stove bolts through the wood and covered the heads with the sign then painted.
I had to make a little bracket on the right side of the pic to center the cluster.

I'm still trying to figure what size resistor to use on the tach wire to get the reading more stable

All I used was a drill, jigsaw and scroll saw good luck
Looks great! Anyway, I compared the connectors and the wire colors on my pregen and newgen wire harnesses and they were not the same at all, so I think I'm looking at an earlier wiring harness with different colors. I am color blind, so I loath figuring this out myself, but I will try.

Thanks.