ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old October 24th, 2012, 02:45 AM   #1
the big mike
ninjette.org sage

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, Fazer8

Should it be loose, or should it be fixed?

hey guys, I'll try to just explain it in my best English because I can't upload a video of it right now.

Last weekend I was cleaning my chain and I noticed something weird:

When I hold my chain in the same spot, I can rotate my rear wheel like 30°. It's as if the sprocket and the rim aren't attached to each other.

Is this normal? and if it is: What's the use of it? To me, it seems like it would cause a bigger jolt when getting on the throttle...

Old October 24th, 2012, 02:50 AM   #2
erbarry88
ninjette.org member

Name: Eddie

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R, 2007 GSX-R 600

If you're saying your chain goes from being tight to loose and vice versa then your chain is stretched out and it would be time to replace the chain and sprockets.
Posted via Mobile Device
erbarry88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2012, 03:47 AM   #3
jeffreys24
ninjette.org member

Name: jeffrey

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250r, 2000 zuma, 1980 sachs prima

Should be fixed
jeffreys24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2012, 05:54 AM   #4
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by the big mike View Post
...It's as if the sprocket and the rim aren't attached to each other.
Correct, they are not attached, there is a rubber cushion in between.

See how to correct that slack:

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_to_shim_the_cush_drive
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2012, 06:28 AM   #5
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
30 degress Fahrenheit or Celsius?

Old October 24th, 2012, 06:32 AM   #6
Domagoj
ninjette.org guru

Name: Domagoj

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 2009

Quote:
hey guys, I'll try to just explain it in my best English because I can't upload a video of it right now.

Last weekend I was cleaning my chain and I noticed something weird:

When I hold my chain in the same spot, I can rotate my rear wheel like 30°. It's as if the sprocket and the rim aren't attached to each other.

Is this normal? and if it is: What's the use of it? To me, it seems like it would cause a bigger jolt when getting on the throttle...
Wait, 30 as in thirty degrees of arc? You sure that the numbers are right?
That is simiar to not having a cushion in there at all, making the bike unridable ...

Hernan pointed you in the right direction though.
Domagoj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2012, 07:52 AM   #7
the big mike
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Correct, they are not attached, there is a rubber cushion in between.

See how to correct that slack:

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_to_shim_the_cush_drive
Yes, this is what I mean. But why is it there?

I assume the cushion makes the transitions between throttle and no throttle softer. And so I would understand it if there was some play due to these cushions.

I remark however, that I can move my rear wheel without a lot of resistance over a not negligible angle. I should have it checked don't I
@Domagoj , 30° might be a little exaggerated, I'll try to make a video of it this weekend. It is rideable though
I've never really noticed it whilst riding. I always thought the jolt when getting on the throttle was normal because of a thread @akima once made (If I remember correctly)

However, I don't believe I'm in immediate danger and I stay on the throttle through turns. But I'll have it checked...
thanks for your help guys

Old October 24th, 2012, 07:59 AM   #8
the big mike
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
30 degress Fahrenheit or Celsius?
I guess I shouldn't be feeding the troll, but whatever: You're kidding, right?

Old October 24th, 2012, 08:01 AM   #9
the big mike
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbarry88 View Post
If you're saying your chain goes from being tight to loose and vice versa then your chain is stretched out and it would be time to replace the chain and sprockets.
Posted via Mobile Device
No that's not what I meant, it's what Motofool said

Old October 24th, 2012, 08:04 AM   #10
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
With time and use, the rubber of the cushion shrinks, leaving some gaps between it and the aluminum of the wheel hub.

Since the sprocket and the wheel are rolling over different ball bearings, the relative movement feels very free.

The shims described in the link make a huge difference in fine throttle control at very low speeds; you would love the new feeling of more solid connection between engine and rear tire.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2012, 10:04 AM   #11
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
I've never really noticed it whilst riding. I always thought the jolt when getting on the throttle was normal because of a thread @akima once made (If I remember correctly):
This!

I think what I've experienced sounds slightly different to what @"the big mike" is describing.

The engine feels extremely connected to the rear wheel on my bike; it's just the throttle that controls the engine that seems to jerk (as I described in my thread).
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2012, 12:46 PM   #12
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
This!

I think what I've experienced sounds slightly different to what @"the big mike" is describing.
Your jerk is FI jerk. Carbs are analog: we US riders can have all shades of gray between on and off with the throttle. With an FI system, there is a certain point where the Throttle position sensor goes from on to off, making the bike have a very digital on/off feeling, and that's the jerk you feel. Am I correct in assuming that this on/off feeling is worst when you're at low rpm's and rolling on/off, like in a parking light, or staying in gear and putting up to a light? That's how mine is with my FI conversion. I get a little bit of that on/off feeling every once in a while. It's forced me to start being very gradual and smooth with my throttle. I've also started feathering the clutch a little more often.

Big mike - you can fix that cush drive my shimming like Hernan suggested. I did it and like it, as do many others here. It's cheap, easy, and reversible if you don't like it.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2012, 12:56 PM   #13
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Your jerk is FI jerk. Carbs are analog: we US riders can have all shades of gray between on and off with the throttle. With an FI system, there is a certain point where the Throttle position sensor goes from on to off, making the bike have a very digital on/off feeling, and that's the jerk you feel. Am I correct in assuming that this on/off feeling is worst when you're at low rpm's and rolling on/off, like in a parking light, or staying in gear and putting up to a light? That's how mine is with my FI conversion. I get a little bit of that on/off feeling every once in a while. It's forced me to start being very gradual and smooth with my throttle. I've also started feathering the clutch a little more often.
Are you calling me a "FI jerk"?

To answer: I haven't noticed that low rpms make a difference. It's more to do with rolling off and then rolling back on again. Some pretty good explanations for this were provided by Chris in the thread I linked.

I doubt my issue is related to Mike's though, so we probs shouldn't discuss it further in his thread.
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2012, 01:36 PM   #14
the big mike
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post

Big mike - you can fix that cush drive my shimming like Hernan suggested. I did it and like it, as do many others here. It's cheap, easy, and reversible if you don't like it.
You are correct in every assumption you've made and I thank you for your advise